At last weekend’s ZL(u)C we played Zinester Rights And Permissions Bingo based on Jenna’s list with much laughter good cheer. If you would like to download the cards (30) for playing at your own institution, a PDF is available here. These are intended to be printed on Tabloid (11×17″) but would probably fit on A3 also.
I’m posting this to the zine libraries site because I want people to contribute to it, but I should also put out there that the front matter is not necessarily representative of all zine librarians everywhere, zine librarians who add their favorite intellectual property claims and disclaims from zines, or even of myself tomorrow. That said, here goes:
Unless they say otherwise, zines are protected by copyright. You can’t digitize first and ask questions later. A bunch of zines are orphan works, meaning the creators are impossible to find. You still have to try. I won’t say anything more about digitization because Kelly Wooten already said it all, in 2009. Anyway, zine digitization isn’t the point of this; it just can’t be avoided when you’re talking about copyright. In this case, I’m merely wanting to celebrate cute and clever statements zine librarians have found in zines.
- “Copylefted because everyone owns words and I trust people to give credit”
Libel #18: The Europe Poems by Jenna DeLorey, 1998? (postmark
- “Reproducing/reprinting all or any part of this zine without prior consent will be considered utterly disrespectful and generally uncool.”
Aqsa Zine #4 Ancestors + Descendents
- “All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, by any means, including mechanical, electric, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the publisher. unless its something you’re just doing because you love it and not for any commercial gain. then you can use a little part. you can always write me if you have questions. plus I’d love to know what you are doing!”
Cindy Crabb. The Encyclopedia of Doris: Stories, Essays and Interviews. Doris Press. 2011.
- “Anti-copyright: Going Homo may be reprinted at will for non-profit purposes, except in the case of individual articles, grafix, and other contributions copy-righted by their creators or previous publishers. It would be nice, tho, if you mentioned you found it in Going Homo.” Going Homo #3
- “permission for reprinting with proper credit given is happily granted as long is it’s not for jive-ass corporate greed bullshit. if you have to ask about that part, you probably are. go to hell.” Gumption no. 3. 1995?
- “All material herein Is owned by Its respective creators. So don’t steal — ask
politely. And remember to always give credit where credit Is due.”
Queer Nasty #5.
- “No part of this publication may be reproduced without permission by Julia. You may, however, attempt to persuade/woo her with cookies, beer, or high school handjobs.”
Julia Wertz. The Fart Party #1, 2006.
- “No part of this zine may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, by any means, including mechanical, electric, recording or otherwise without the prior permission from its creator. Unless you’re just printing it for funzies & not for commercial gain.
(ascii art reproduced as best I could)
Infinity Dots. Take Two: Escape from the Bayou, 2016.
- Copyrights are silly, and we can’t keep you from stealing our shit, but maybe please don’t?
Brook and Felicia, The Most Important Zine of the Day, 2014
- Published by Mutya Inc.©. And if you even dare copy the stuff in this issue for your own purposes and say it came from your own lips, be prepared to stay home a lot, lest I sick my headhunters on you!
Sabrina. Bamboo Girl #1. 1995.
- c. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dead Inside #1. 2016
- Share it. Copy it. Paste it. Cut it. Destroy it. Remake it.
Do whatever the fuck you want. Don’t do it for cash. Credit me. Tell me about it.
Gravestones/Church Signs by Moose Lane. 2016ish.
- if you steal this i’ll seriously kill you.
Scrappy J.: A Story About Fighting by Cassie J. Sneider, 2008.
- @narchopyright – steal and give credit
No State Solution by rozele, 2003
- (sloppyright) Lol rights reserved. Any part of this zine: do whatever without prior permission.
Undoing Sex: Against Sexual Optimism by Mynwych Hyrryr, July 2012.
- Copyrights are for little boy businessmen. “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.”
No Apology #1 by Heidi. Early 1990s?
- All errors © Norman Shamas
the zine also contains a CC license, which apparently applies only to non-errata
A Brief Introduction to Fosta-Sesta by Norman, October 2018.
- Feel free to swipe whatever you want from here, with polite attribution, of course. Or make a hundred copies and leave them in the waiting room at your doctor/midwives’ office.
Self Defense for Pregnant Ladies by Kelly Wooten, 2012.
- Everything in this collection was created by Erika Moen. Do not steal. Don’t be a dick. c 2007
White Stripes screenshot used w/out permission (p.13)
DAR: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary #1 by Erika Moen, 2007
- Please do not reproduce this zine in any way, shape, or form. No photocopying, scanning, uploading, emailing, etc. Please do not catalog and/or otherwise add to a library collection. This is for your eyes only.
[no attribution] 2020
Please add yours, either right in the post, or in the comments.