Meeting at MIT, Sunday, July 31, 2016 from 1-6pm.
MIT’s Hayden Library, building 14, room 3-336.
DIRECTIONS from the T:
Go down Carleton St past the MIT medical building, turn right onto Amherst St. Cross Ames street at the Arts/Design building, walk down a walkway with tennis courts on your left. Hayden (building 14) is on the left just past the gigantic black Calder statue.
Once inside, go down the hall past the outside courtyard, turn left and the library entrance is at the end of the hall. Once inside the library, take a left and walk past the desks and shelves to find the back stairwell and take it all the way up to the third floor. Our meeting room is just past the bathrooms and is the first door on the right at the start of the office hallway.
You can park in Cambridge spots on Sundays, so look for those if you’re driving (there are some on Ames and Amherst).
MIT buildings are open to the public, so you can walk right in.
Discussed at the meeting:
–Working groups make recommendations to caticorn herders*, but generally work out details amongst themselves
–Mission statement; points of unity
We respect diversity of communication styles, learning styles,
*Caticorn herders = Core group
**Fast Horse = Working groups
- User testing
- Semi-annual update call
- Jenna: draft proposal
- Draft “governance plan”
- Propose at August ZUC conference call
- Circulate for approval
- Vote Sept. 2016 ZUC conf. call
- Implement plan ASAP
- Form groups
- Annual review and documentation
- Hathi Trust
- Some standing, some running
- Repository diversity
- Aim for individual diversity
- Diversity of expertise
- Length of “term”
- “Election” (just for caticorn herders?) —-> Automated (auditable) impartial process
- Mandatory participation
- must attend x% of meetings
Fast Horses provide recommendations back to Caticorn Herders and are voted on.
Potential Fast Horse Groups:
- Artisanal metadata (standing)
- caticorn herders update
- Fast Horses update(s)?
- Documentation review
- Get Administrative Shit Together
- Mission statement
- Governance planning
- Compile stakeholders list/Advisory Board
- Logos & Merching
- Planning Prototype
- Choose Catalog Tool
- Gather pilot metadata
- Technology decisions
- User Stories
- Functional Requirements
- Metadata Standards
- Structured data prototype
- Zine wiki = another source of information, data source from which to pull data (zine libs with no cat)
- Info boxes: automate cat. imports –> populate info boxes: crosswalk zine description to infobox
- Template love
- Free text description populates content, e.g., MARC 520
- Templates needed
- Library (holding)
- Group creator
- Process! Rules for merge/(de)duplicate
- MUST BE VERY BROAD REPRESENTATION
- === Moebius strip of chaos